What's On My Bookshelf?!




I started reading at an early age and I have always loved books. I have shelves full of books. I have boxes full of books. I have stacks of books by my bed that I am currently reading and ones that I want to read next. I have books that I have started but never finished.  I know that I am not going to live long enough to read all of the books that I want to read. I stare at, and have access to books all day long in the bookstore at work. A blessing and my downfall. 
I have needed to go through my books for a long time. I need to do some organizing and some purging. A huge job. It is one of those dreaded projects that I keep putting off. But today as I sat looking at my books and again thinking how I really need to get on this, I was inspired to make it fun by writing about it. I don't know if it will take weeks, months or years or if I'll even finish but at least now I am excited to get started on this daunting task. I plan to go through each and every one. Some I will reread, some I will skim through and others will go to another home. My hope is to record and share some of what makes each particular book special to me or what makes it worth keeping. I may share some favourite quotes or personal stories.  If you wish to join along you may discover some new treasures for yourself or you can just be my friend and cheerleader along the way. ON MY MARK, GET SET,  GO!


Book #1 - For Dolly and Me 


This is one of the few family "heirlooms" that I have. It was given to me as a child and the fact that I still have it after my insane number of moves is a miracle.  It belonged to my maternal grandmother's sister. I can't find a print date but the inscription looks like it's from Christmas 1910. Unfortunately I cannot be sure because of the smudge. I vaguely remember Auntie Laura. I was very little. I don't  remember many interactions with her. Just an image of an old woman with a cane. Sitting. Not smiling. (a bit like the images you see of an older Queen Victoria) What made the biggest impression on me was her little black dog Joey. I was always an animal lover and to be honest if she didn't have that dog I don't know that I would remember her at all. I realized today there is a little black dog in one of the illustrations. I wonder if she loved dogs too and if she grew up always wanting a little black dog just like the one in her book named Jock. I wonder if I will ever get to ask her that question...   My grandmother died when I was 2 years old. I am not sure how old I was when Laura passed away or how old she was. Now I want to do more digging. I found it interesting researching the publisher, editor and the authors. I hit a few dead ends but also made some fascinating discoveries. 
I am not familiar with any of the stories or poems but they are well written. I appreciate authors that don't dumb down children's books but still make them age appropriate. This book has 4 coloured prints. That must have been a big deal back in the day. One of those pages has fallen out. I would like to frame it or have it mounted onto a sealed plaque. Do any of my creative friends out there have a different idea of what might be best? This is the page. 


As I sat down and started writing, I remembered that my sister Darlene has a photo of my Nanny and Auntie Laura. I think it was taken when they were migrating from England to Canada on the ship.   I messaged her to see if she could send it to me. Because Darlene is so awesome I have it already!


Hilda and Laura White


Of course the rest of my books won't have this much family history or sentimentality but it has been a fun start! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buen Camino

The Hard but Good and All The Firsts

The Boy Turns 17 Today!