Me and Wally. Faith + Family + Football

It's Saturday afternoon. I am chatting on the phone with my sister.  We are catching up and sharing our weekend plans with each other.  I start telling her that I am getting ready to go the the football game and what a big deal it is because Wally is retiring. I even made him a sign. I have never made a sign for an event before. Frankly I think people who do that are weird and nerdy. What have I become?  But it's Wally, and it's his last home game. The very least I can do. Suddenly I feel my throat start to close.  Now the tears are flowing. Why am I so emotional?   Could it be because my brother just passed away a few months ago and I am still feeling raw?  Maybe I'm overly sensitive? This is embarrassing! I am a sign making nerd and I am crying!

Then she says it. "It's because he reminds you of dad isn't it?  Yes, that is definitely part of it. I cannot see Wally Buono without thinking of my father. Ever.  (although Wally is much younger) It is something familiar that goes right to the heart.
 But there is more, so much more. I start to connect the dots. All the milestones.

Wally Buono former Montreal Alouettes player
coaching in Vancouver

My dad in a March for Jesus parade in Vancouver
representing Quebec


Let's start at the beginning.  Wally moved to Montreal from Italy as a very young boy. That is where he grew up, where my father grew up, where I grew up. I believe there is a unique and sacred bond between those who grew up in Montreal. Especially in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  It may be unspoken but it is understood. There is a knowing.  His father worked in construction in Montreal in the 1950's.  So did my father and grandfather.  They may have crossed paths or at least been familiar with each other. If not, still same city, same scene.
I didn't remember until long after he died but my father had once told me that he was a huge football fan in his younger days. It was one of his favourite sports.  He was an Alouettes fan and he loved going to the games.

When I was around 13 years old my cousin Mike brought me to my first CFL game.  It was also my first time in the Olympic Stadium.  I often watched on TV but this was different. The emotion is still so strong when I recall the lights, the crowd, the energy. It was unbelievable, unforgettable. I was hooked! Although I don't remember him specifically, Wally was on the Alouettes team and quite probably playing that night. That very significant night.
My dad took me to my first Athletes in Action Grey Cup breakfast in 1979.  It was the year Montreal played Edmonton. Again I don't really remember specifically, but there is a good chance Wally was there also.

At 14 years old I started dating this cute football player. He was even cuter in his uniform. 😍😍
He wasn't big but he was fast. When he got the ball no one could touch him. Think Swervin Mervin Fernandez or Chris Rainey darting in and out leaving a trail of fallen players behind. I watched on the sidelines for his last several seasons. Even in the very, very cold wind and snow.

In the early/mid 80's I was back and forth (literally) between Vancouver and Montreal. I started going to more BC games at BC Place and converted.  BC became my #1 team. I will still cheer on Montreal as long as they are not playing BC.  That BC team in the 80's was my dream team and I especially loved  #24 Swervin Mervin. In 1984 for my 18th birthday, Tommy (the cute guy I used to watch play football)  and I went to a Lions game to celebrate. How many girls do you know that want football tickets for their 18th birthday?

In 1985 we were back in Montreal. Montreal happened to be hosting the Grey Cup that year. We couldn't go to the game but we attended the Athletes in Action Grey Cup Breakfast with about 10 family members including my dad and future in laws who have all since passed. Cherished memories. It was freezing that day but some of us braver souls went to the big Grey Cup parade. There are 2 things I remember most from that parade.  Firstly, how very cold we were, and  secondly, Tommy kept switching our footballs to the Hamilton side every time we weren't looking just to bug us. See photo below.  He was being a little shit disturber, but somehow I married him anyway 3 months later.  We got the last laugh because BC won the cup. We watched at my cousin Mikes' house. What a great game!
 A newspaper photographer took this photo and published it. I think it was in a Saskatchewan or Winnipeg newspaper. It was before the days of internet so we never did find out for certain.




Freezing our butts off at the Grey Cup Parade in Montreal 1985.
There is Tommy with the Hamilton side of the football and I am also unknowingly holding it and smiling. I probably smacked him really hard once the film was developed and I saw this photo.




Athletes in Action Grey Cup Breakfast 1985 with my sister Darlene




After marriage came babies and to be honest other than playoffs I didn't follow football very much for quite a few years. We left Quebec for good in 1989.  As a busy mom with little ones, there was no time to sit and watch football or anything else for that matter. No time, no energy no money.  We lived in Vancouver but I don't think we went to many, if any games.  It was also during the time of the US expansion.  I didn't like that at all and lost interest.                                                                             
                                                                                                                               
 Jump to the year 2000.  From 2000 to 2009 we lived in Peachland, BC.  I started watching the Lions on TV again. I watched as  many games as I could and Tommy was still cheering on the Als. The friendly but intense rivalry picked right back up. We hosted several Grey Cup parties at our home and it became an exciting annual event.                                                                                                                                                    
In 2001 I got to meet Lui Passaglia.  He was at a trade show in Kelowna where my daughter was helping out doing some modelling for an outdoor recreational equipment company and her dance troupe was performing. What a thrill of a lifetime!  (Oh, and yes daughter you were pretty good too. 😘)  He signed my hat and he also signed his player card to my mom.  That was a really big deal. You see my parents separated when I was 6 years old and I hadn't lived with my mom since the age of 7.  I visited her once in awhile and we got along but never had that special mother daughter bond.  Although her and my dad were different people living very different lives, she too was a football fan and loved to watch her Lions play. I am almost certain that she must have started out as an Als fan as well.  It seems to be one of the things my parents had in common.  Looking back I guess the love of football is in the genes.  The reason I am mentioning this is because it is very significant to this Lui Passaglia story. Shortly after meeting Lui, I had an opportunity to go visit my mom. She was so happy with her autographed card and we had a very fun visit. I will even dare to say we shared a mother daughter bonding time over this special Lui Passaglia card and the joy it brought.  Lui was one of her all time favourite players.  Little did I know it would be my very last visit with her.  My mom passed away 2 months later from complications after surgery.  Lui's generosity with me, turned my gift to her into a cherished final memory that I will always hold on to.  I got the card back after my mom passed and I will always treasure it.                                                                                                                                          
                                                                                               


Meeting Lui Passaglia in Kelowna, BC 2001



 I am so grateful!  You never know how much a small act of kindness can impact someone's life.
















In 2009 Tommy and I temporarily moved to Charlottetown, PEI.  Living in a time zone with a 4 hour difference proved to be a challenge. I stayed up well past midnight many a weekend just to watch a game.   In 2012 we saw on the news that the 100th Grey Cup Train Tour was  going across Canada and coming all the way to Halifax. We  had always talked about visiting Halifax some day but hadn't done it yet so what better time.  In places like Saskatchewan there were huge line ups and it was quite crowded on the train, so we got there early to make sure we could get in.  We pretty much had the train to ourselves at first and we were able to take in every detail on our own and go back and forth several times. It was extremely well done.  So much information on the history of the game and the teams.  Each team had a car that was set up with  players lockers, equipment and stats. There was even a lovely display of all the grey cup rings. We had a great time joking around with all the staff who were teasing us for being a married couple with opposing team jerseys but  being very careful not to get in the middle. A lot of laughs. Our one and only memorable trip to Halifax.



100th Grey Cup Train Tour Halifax, NS 2012


Up close and personal with the Grey Cup







In the summer of 2014 it was time to head back to BC.  That November Tommy was gifted Grey Cup tickets from his work!!!!   Seriously??!!!  Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.  Neither of our teams were playing but it was still amazing to be a part of the celebration.  We will be forever grateful. 



2014 Grey Cup game between Calgary and Hamilton.
Imagine Dragons were the half time show.


Very much appreciated tickets!










In October of 2015 I had the opportunity to attend the pre screening of  the movie Woodlawn through my work.  It is based on the incredible true story of a High School football team in Birmingham, Alabama in 1973 amidst horrible hate, prejudice and segregation and how faith turned things around. We had the privilege of meeting the lead actor Caleb Castille and some BC Lions players who were also in attendance.   You can watch the movie trailer below.





Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling
b
With BC Lions player Rolly Lumbala #46
 I wouldn't let Tommy in the photo
because he is an Als fan.





























Now that we are back in BC we try and take in at least one or two games a year, especially when the Alouettes come to town.  Last year when the girls were visiting from Kelowna, Tommy took them to their first game. They had so much fun but felt really bad for grandad when his team lost.



October 2016




September 2017


Fun Fact - In 1987 Nathalie was born at the Royal Victoria hospital in Montreal. It is attached to Molson Stadium/McGill.   I was in labour all night long and she was born at 7:04am.   Tommy watched the sun rise right over Molson Stadium (where the Als play) that special morning and had a most spectacular and very memorable view.

In 2015 I posted this on Facebook.  Cadence was 8 years old.
Sunday morning Cadence quote to Grandad: "Ever since I've known you and Mama I've learned so much about God and Jesus and church....AND football and hockey!" lol 


More Fun Facts - My cousin Bob worked for Canada Post in Montreal many years ago. He delivered the mail to Wally Buono's home.  He said he was a really nice guy.
Here in BC, one of my coworkers was in a Bible study with Wally Buono's wife and another coworker went to the same church as him.  You guessed it, they said he was a really nice guy.
In keeping with the whole 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon thing, I certainly think this counts for something.

I am in no way an obsessed football fan.  I don't know all the players and I don't catch all the games, however, as you can see football has many markers on my timeline. Through puppy love crushes,  family connections, marriage, kids and now grand kids.  From coast to coast, in celebrations and even births and deaths.


Now Wally is retiring. Now I understand the tears.  Football will go on but it will be a huge loss, a big change. He is honoured and recognized as one of the best. In every speech and in every tribute to him all you hear is what an amazing man he is and how he is a man of faith and family.   On and off the field he is highly respected by everyone.
Unlike Wally, I will never have that recognition or following but I do hope we have at least one thing in common.
To be remembered for our love of  Faith + Family + Football.



Image may contain: 2 people, stadium, crowd and outdoor
Thank you so much Wally for all you have done and for being you.
May you be richly blessed on your new journey! Enjoy those grandkids!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buen Camino

The Hard but Good and All The Firsts

The Boy Turns 17 Today!