My Home Within My Home


My Home Within My Home

The wind is howling. The tea is hot. I hear the laughter of a child coming from the next room as I sit on my rocker and plan my day.  Many plans have been made from this rocker, many little ones rocked to sleep, many sleepless nights and tears shed right here.  There is something about this chair that makes it a fundamental part of my day, that makes it MY chair.  It has become a place of comfort for myself and others, my office, my prayer closet.  
If I  had to leave in a hurry and grab only one piece of furniture from my living room, without hesitation this would be it.  I absolutely love my wooden antique ironing board but that could eventually be replaced.  Nothing could replace this chair. The feel, the sounds, the memories.
It strikes me funny as I write this that I can't imagine a day without it.  What would I do? Where else would I go to have this home within my home?  I generally take it for granted, as we so often do with things that matter most to us, and don't give it this much thought.  But on this day as the wind is howling and the tea is hot, I am feeling most grateful and I am aware of the fact that it was around this time of year 17 years ago that this all began.   Happy Birthday rocker and may you have many more.

Written December 2010

When we moved from PEI in 2014 I had to leave my rocker behind. I am happy to say it went to a good home with a wonderful family. Mom was expecting and has several little ones.  I am sure they have their own rocking memories now.


No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buen Camino

The Boy Turns 17 Today!

The Hard but Good and All The Firsts