Marvel The Mustang - Written on this day in 2010

St-Eustache, Quebec late 1960’s .  I was the happiest little girl in the whole world the Christmas I got my Marvel The Mustang.  I was a pre-schooler but I remember it so vividly.  He was my best friend.  I told him all my secrets and I would feed him little dough balls that I would make by squishing up slices of white bread.  Thinking back, I  don’t know why I never got in trouble for this. It could be because I hid the evidence very well but I like to think it was because my mother understood the special bond we shared. On occasion at bedtime I even chose him instead of one of my stuffed animals to sleep with.
Then one day I was walking home from school and from a distance I could see my oldest brother lifting Marvel into his van.  He was packing up to move to Ontario.  I started running but it was too late.  He never saw me.  I just stood there helpless, fighting back the tears as the red van drove out of sight.  By now I was 9 or 10 yrs old and fairly tall for my age.  I didn’t sleep with Marvel anymore and I certainly didn’t ride him so how could my brother have known my heart would be breaking? It was the right thing I decided, swallowing hard. After all he had a little girl of his own now and surely she would love him too.  Right?  But I didn’t even get to say goodbye.
I am 24yrs old at the big Metro Town Mall in Burnaby, BC.  As I walk by the Grand & Toy I cannot believe my eyes. In the window looking at me is Marvel!   I urgently march right in there and make my purchase. Now, urgently by definition does not allow time for much planning or forethought.  I unfortunately have to leave Marvel behind, as there is no way I can take this huge box back on the sky train with me. Arrangements would have to be made later. But that is ok because at least he is MINE, I mean James’.  My son James 2nd birthday is right around the corner. What could be a more perfect gift?!
James was happy with his gift but the passion for this two year old boy proved to be Peter Pan and anything to do with pirates and sword fighting.  So Marvel just hung around like an old friend but at least we never had to say goodbye.

Years have passed and now I thoroughly enjoy watching my granddaughters give Marvel some special attention every once in awhile.  He has travelled with us in our moves from the lower mainland of BC, to the Okanagan and now all the way to Prince Edward Island.  I am sure my gracious husband has wondered many times over the years, especially in all of the many moves, why we are still hanging on to this large toy horse.  I think he should just be thankful I don’t sleep with it anymore.

  My son James on his 2nd birthday Oct 1990
             


Written by Dede Nicholson November 22, 2010

Are you feeling nostalgic?!!   Check this out the link below
Click on this link to watch Marvel in action


As I sit here this evening posting my story and trying to navigate my way through this blog, I realize that unintentionally Marvel is right beside me.  I have been ignoring him as of late but in true typical fashion Marvel is literally right by my side.  He has travelled across the country with us again, and he looks a little worse for wear but he is well loved. (That's what happens when you are 27 yrs old. My original one would have been pushing 50)

My grandson will be turning 2 yrs old  soon.  I was going to shine Marvel up and put a dowel in where his handles once were.  I thought he would make the perfect gift for the son of his first boy, but today's generation has changed.  Nobody wants great grandma's china or silver and certainly nobody wants grand-maman's old horse.  I get it, I understand.


Marvel Right By My Side


                                                             
                                                                So instead.........





Meet Mr. Moose.  An early 2nd birthday gift.   If this new toy manages to stick around for awhile who knows, maybe one day we'll be reading stories about a moose and his boy.

Comments

  1. I didn't know anything about Marvel the Mustang, but after reading this entry, and checking out the YouTube video, I wished I had him growing up!!! I can understand why you have affection for him! Your story brought to mind a plastic blue pedal toy car I used to have when I was a child. I would usually drive it in the living room and into the kitchen in our Singapore apartment (it was a small enough car). But, one fine day, my mom allowed me to drive it all the way to the market (with her walking next to me)…. It remains one of my fave memories of me and my mom. Rachel


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hard but Good and All The Firsts

The Boy Turns 17 Today!

Buen Camino