A Reason and Season to Celebrate - Valentines Day - Anniversary - Family Day

I have noticed more and more lately that a lot of people have a really negative view of Valentines Day.  Don't get me wrong, I get it, especially when you think about the billions of dollars spent on the commercial side of things.  Another excuse or perhaps a feeling of pressure to spend money and try to impress with gifts that are overpriced in places that are overcrowded.  For those that are single it can bring up feelings of loneliness.  I get it, I truly do.


However, here is how I have decided to look at Valentines Day.  One of the origins is about LOVE.  Have you read the story of St-Valentine? Risking life in the name of love to do something loving. Sacrificial love.  Why can't we not only celebrate but act on that?  The world definitely needs more of that, and you don't have to spend a dime.
 Some of the other holidays such as Christmas and Easter are also about sacrificial love and we can completely commercialize the love out of them too. At least with those there can be and often is an attempt to focus on "the true meaning of Christmas" or the excitement of "new life and rebirth" at Easter.   I challenge you to look at Valentines Day through a different lens and to think about the sacrificial love side of things.
We have a choice. Some give in to the commercial holiday with a resentful heart or desire to impress. Others don't, but spread negativity and can come across as if somehow superior because they are not giving in and don't celebrate it.
In my opinion life is very short and I want to celebrate the positives any chance I get with the people I love any chance I get while I still can.  I don't mean to be morbid but I know all too well that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. I don't want to miss any more chances to celebrate and love and I especially don't want to spend that time criticizing the day and being negative. I want to CELEBRATE and to LOVE!!!






  God is LOVE.  We LOVE because he first LOVED us.
The greatest commandment is to LOVE God and LOVE your neighbour as yourself.

If we only could. Here's a chance to milk it! As Nike says Just Do It! 😍

                                             


                                            BUT THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE



Truth -  LOVE IS REAL. We cannot prove love and yet we all know it exists. I have loved madly and deeply. (and sadly have also felt the pain of a lack of love or a twisted love. I am sorry and sad that we all can't be more careful and loving with each other.)


This year I took up the challenge. I went out on a risky limb. I sacrificed. Perhaps not life and limb but I sacrificed convenience, time, energy...  I risked emotionally. For love.  I did so without expectation, without knowing what the outcome would be. I can say to you that not only was it worth it, the reward was so great it ended up not being a sacrifice after all but a true gift to me and answered prayer. I am so grateful! I wish I could say more but this story is not just my own.


 I celebrated Valentines Day, My Wedding Anniversary and Family Day.
I celebrated all the while knowing there are those separated from loved ones, those in hospital, those awaiting cancer treatment, those that are no longer here and deeply missed.  I celebrated.






My Valentine's wish to all my friends and family is that you being rooted and grounded in LOVE may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the LOVE of Christ that surpasses knowledge. He is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think. (Ephesians 3:14 paraphrased)    Love You! XOXO




Blessed! Married to this guy for 34 years! 


   

Just some of the Family Day Weekend Fun!

So happy that Nathalie and the girls came for the weekend. I had an online Scentsy party and got to see Nathalie in action, doing her thing building her business.  We went family skating, had a wonderful feast at the Japanese restaurant, learned to blanket stitch for a sewing project, bowled, played epic games of Dutch Blitz, listened to Odyssey, giggled and cuddled....
James & Brooke and Avery weren't here but we got to facetime and connect. Avery went to his first hockey game. 
My cup runneth over!







 Love getting to facetime and
message with these guys.  Avery's first
Kelowna Rockets hockey game.

Tommy's Gift
It's called My Girls 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buen Camino

A Moment of Silence

The Boy Turns 17 Today!